Your story is important and unique – just like you.
LELA (Life, Education, Literacy, Arts) House offers virtual life writing coaching for women ready to write their life stories.
Does this sound like you?
- I would like to write my life story, but I don’t know where to begin or what to say.
- I am neither famous nor important; my life story doesn’t matter.
- No one will read my story except my family and friends.
- Sometimes writing hurts, so I just stop when it does.
Did you know what you’re feeling is perfectly normal?
Writing is hard, and writing about your life is even harder. Writing about yourself feels like baring your naked soul to the world. When we start feeling like that in our writing, we often stop, because we’re not ready to do the heart work to release the pain and shame associated with sharing our written work. We feel like our stories are small and unimportant, but that’s simply not true. Just because you aren’t famous (yet!) doesn’t mean you don’t have a worthwhile story to tell. We grow when we tell our stories, and we help people coming after us learn from our experiences. Oftentimes we assume no one will be interested in what we write, but we won’t know that until we write. And if our loved ones are the only ones who learn a little bit more about us and themselves, then our writing has served a good purpose. The world needs you, and the world needs your story. Through LELA House I offer life writing coaching to support Christian writers like you, because I have traveled this road and understand the spiritual battle that’s in play.
So what is life writing? And what is life writing coaching?
Life writing is any writing that tells the true story of a life. It could be your life or someone else’s life, but you’ll need permission to write about someone else’s life. Life writing includes biography, autobiography, memoir, personal essay, and more. Life writing is a lot like journaling and often begins as journaling, but the intent of life writing is for an audience (other than yourself) to read what you’ve written. Your ambitions, however, are your own. Maybe you want to publish your memoir as a hardback book. Maybe you want to blog. Maybe you want to give your grandchildren a handwritten copy of your narrative, so they can know your story and your script. It’s your story. You get to chose how you tell it and how you share it.
I began life writing when my children were preschoolers, and they’re teenagers now! I started life writing to preserve some of my memories of their younger years. I realized if I didn’t write them down, the stories would disappear forever. So I wrote. I told stories of myself through the lens of my children for years. (Click HERE and HERE for a couple of examples.) Then I started telling my own stories, and that was a little scary, but the more I did it, the more I learned about myself, and the more people learned from me. (Click HERE and HERE and HERE for a few examples.)
As a life writing coach, I help you do both the heart work and writing work to tell your stories. I’ll help you think about what to write, create ways to move beyond what’s blocking your writing, and help you make your story shine. Through your stories, you’ll become more yourself, and your readers will bask in the glow as you let your light shine.
What are the benefits of life writing?
- Get to know yourself better
- Reduce stress
- Clarify your thoughts and feelings
- Track personal development
- Create a written record not just of your chronology, but of your life as you experience it
- Leave a legacy for loved ones
- Inspire someone else
God created you with a purpose; He has a plan for you that is beyond what you can ask or think. At LELA House, you can become who God created you to be through coaching & courses designed to help you discover your unique design, become critically engaged, and transform community.
Everyone does not fit into a mold, so LELA House does not offer one-size-fits-all systems and solutions. Instead, I offer courses and personalized life writing coaching that embraces the deep work of discerning your unique design to become critically engaged in practices and habits that serve your call to write, which transforms you and your community.
What people are saying about working with Roshaunda.
Upon my first coaching session with Dr. Roshaunda Cade, my confidence and my attitude were positively altered, and God gave me peace during my coaching sessions with her. She has a way of inspiring, highlighting and thought-provokingly guiding you to recognize your writing strengths and weaknesses simultaneously.RaShawn Johnson – Reading Specialist
Roshaunda was a ray of light. She treated everyone as if they were the most important person on the team and and considered problems as opportunities for growth and development. She led from the front, never considering any task too menial for her to complete. She is the type of leader I aspire to become, both professionally and personally.Robin Evans – Writing Center Faculty
I was trying to figure out the career that’s right for me. Through Dr. Roshaunda Cade’s coaching, I was able to determine the career I would like to pursue. Dr. Cade is highly-knowledgable, upbeat, supportive, and always has some words of encouragement. I am forever grateful for the coaching/guidance she provided me.Auriel C. – Health and Wellness Coach
But who is Roshaunda?
I’m Roshaunda D. Cade, Ph.D. – a life writing coach for women ready to write their life stories!
I’ve learned from 20+ years of teaching writing that writers need coaches who can help them navigate their lives, habits, and limited beliefs as much as they need help with the technical aspects of writing. So now I provide wrap-around support to my clients through life writing coaching.
I hold a bachelors, masters, and doctorate in English. I’m a certified life coach and a writing coach. I love stories and helping people discover and tell theirs, and I believe God created every individual with a unique design to transform the world.
And why would you want to work with me?
- I am you – I’ve struggled with writing; I’ve struggled with answering a call; I’ve struggled with baring my soul to the world.
- I believe in your message.
- I believe in your ability.
- I recognize writing issues go way beyond writing and into belief.
- I am credentialed and experienced in both writing and coaching.
- I can demonstrate how to fit writing into your busy life.
- I understand nothing in your life is right when your devotional life isn’t right.
- I believe your authentic voice can and should shine in your writing.
- I believe the world needs what you have to say.
- I believe there is space for you and and your writing, even if you must carve it out for yourself.
- I believe writing is transformational work, both for the writer and for the readers, and has the power to reshape individuals and entire societies.
- I believe people desire to understand and feel understood, and writing is a powerful way to do that.
- I help you recognize what’s great about your writing as well as your unique writing challenges.
- I help you learn the skill, mindsets, and habits to blast through your writing challenges and gain confidence and courage in your writing.
- I’m committed to supporting you as you discover your unique design, become critically engaged in your craft of writing, and transform yourself and the world through your God-given message.
- I offer a unique framework for idea generation and organization.
- I understand you navigate through the writing process in your own unique way.
- I’m excited to celebrate you on each part of your journey.
- I will pray with you and for you.
- I believe you are worthy of support.
- I believe God called you to this work for such a time as this.
- I believe in divine appointments, not coincidence. God brought you to this place at this time for His purpose.
Want to learn a little more about me? Check out the videos below!
If this transformational possibility resonates with your spirit, then you’re ready to make LELA House home and discover how I can serve you.
Sign up for LELA House emails and receive a FREE Coaching Exploration Conversation with me to discuss how to jumpstart your writing journey.
LELA House offers life writing coaching for women ready to write their life stories.
Get in Touch
Ephesians 2:10 (CEV)
10 God planned for us to do good things and to live as he has always wanted us to live. That’s why he sent Christ to make us what we are.